The Canadian On-Road Nationals hosted its annual RC Races in one of the largest On-Road carpet tracks in North America, located across the hallway from the Cineplex Odeon in Seaway Mall.The scheduled practice was held on Thursday, March 22nd, with qualifying races on Friday and Saturday. The finals took place on Sunday, March 25, starting at 9:00 am. This year’s race had the most registrants to date with approximately 200 competitors, adding a new level of adrenaline and talent.
The competition was open for the public to watch.
Five facts about the Outlaw R/C Motorsports Speedway:
- The Seaway Mall facility houses Electronic battery powered scale replica car kits blaze down the progressively challenging course at near blinding speeds.
- These cars are assembled by each individual driver, from a kit manufactured by a variety of companies from around the world. The kits are available locally from ‘Skycraft Hobbies’ in St. Catharines, one of the title sponsors of Outlaw R/C.
- The cars are individually linked to a computerized timing system, which records lap times as well as total laps completed.
- The object of On-Road carpet racing is to complete the highest amount of laps around the course that can be achieved in the time of the race.
- Races vary from five to eight minutes dependent on the class of car.There are several classes of car-ran at the Outlaw R/C Motorsports Speedway which range from Modified (fastest) to Formula 1 (slower with more precision). The class is usually chosen based on the driver’s personal skill and interests.